Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shamrock 5k

(sorry, I meant to write about my race 2 weeks ago but with all the commotion going on preparing for Venture's Launch I didn't get a chance, oh well...better late than never)

After 9 weeks of training & preparation, March 17th 2012 had finally arrived -- The day of my 1st 5k Race
Race day turned out to be a HOT one! I had originally bought an awesome green tie dyed long sleeve
running shirt but unfortunately I didn't get to wear it. The race was downtown along the river walk, there were a TON of people there, 200+  a record high attendance for this annual race
(once March rolls around there is atleast one race per weekend in Danville, sometimes more, and usually the Shamrock isn't crowded)

I lined up towards the middle, my goal was to start towards the back of the runners, but in front of the walkers,  however when the race started it was so packed and the walkers were mixed in with the runners it was madness!! So between the adrenaline /nerves and feeling crowded I started off faster than I had planned, my goal was to keep a steady pace and not allow myself to walk at all
But when I reached the 1st mile marked and looked down at my watch, I had run my 1st mile in about 8 mins, when usually I run a 10.32 min mile...unfortunately I couldn't keep up that pace
and I ended up walking for 30 secs during the 2nd mile because I thought I was about to throw-up my breakfast...luckily I didn't but I did learn that walking is a bad idea, because once I allowed myself to walk, even though it was just for 30 secs it was hard to get my legs to get going again!

My favorite part of the race was coming over the hill and seeing the finish line and my family & friends cheering me on! 
I crossed the finish line @ 32:20 and came in 95th place!
Me with my group of cheerleading leprechauns
(Beckham is thrilled to be in the picture)
My BFF Kate got me this awesome charm necklace in honor of all my hard work 
(she's pretty awesome like that)

My next race is a trail run at the end of May, I'm excited but a little worried because any of you who know me well are aware of my clumsiness, so I'm hoping I don't trip and break something!

My major Goal for the Year is to Run the "Dirty Dan" this fall
Its a 6 mile mixed terrain race through downtown Danville and on some trails along with MUD PITS and obstacles -- Everyone who finishes gets a medal :) Our Entire Staff at Venture is going to be running this one, plus Venture is sponsoring one of the obstacles! its gonna be a riot

The Race I'm most excited about is the Color Run in  Charlotte, NC this October-- Eric & I are both running this one along with some friends from College that live in Charlotte and at the end of the race there is a Willy Wonka Chocolate Extravaganza :)







1 comment:

  1. Look at you racing mama!! I am so incredibly proud of you! You inspire me to get to moving! You, Nicole, and me really need to do the tie dye in Chicago! PS-Eric's shirt cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete