Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

photo challenge: Something New

A major event taking place during my 30th year is the start of Venture Christian Church
Eric & I moved to Danville, VA in september of last year to begin this journey that has become Venture. Truthfully I had never heard of "church planting" until I had graduated College and good friends of ours were involved in starting a new church. When I stopped to think about it, it makes sense, all the churches around had to start somewhere. Now that we're involved in Church planting I feel like I hear about new churches and people we know or know of being part of a church plant, its like when you buy a new car and then all the sudden you start to see the same make & model all over the road when before you purchased it you never noticed them. Okay, back to Venture.
Our 1st offical Sunday or our "Launch" as its known in the church planting world is April 1st
just little over a month & 1/2 away and things are really starting to get exciting and BUSY ~
A lot goes into starting a new church.

In January Venture introduced itself to Danville by hosting a night of Free Bowling open to everyone!
We had a great time meeting new people and watching families enjoy a night of fun.

We have 2 more community events coming up in March along with some "preview" services building up to our 1st official Sunday morning service.

This Journey has been trying at times, but its during those times that I've seen God move.
I am learning to daily live out Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds 
as you live in Christ Jesus."
Take notice how this passage does not say "Tell God what you need and he will give it to you" instead this passage tells us to remind ourselves of what God has done for us and we will experience God's peace. I think this is important to understand.  What this passage says to me is that God wants me to come to him with my concerns, but he is also asking me to trust him And when I step back and remind myself of how God has taken care of me in the past, I can experience the peace that comes with knowing HE is in control, not me, THANK GOODNESS!
I know without a doubt that we have been called to Danville for such a time as this. Our continued challenge is seeking God's will in all of this and making sure Venture is the church God has called it to be and not allow ourselves to get in the way of that.

I want to leave you with song called "Skeleton Bones" by John Mark McMillan
One of Venture's core values is "cultivate renewal"
I can't help but think of renewal when I hear this song :)

John Mark McMillan - Skeleton Bones from john mark mcmillan on Vimeo.






1 comment: